Sheriff Drumfasser: Bones 4 Dreadmere Figure

     This past week I painted the “Sheriff Drumfasser” figure from the Bones 4 Dreadmere Expansion set.  

     I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.  I then glued the figure to a brown-primed 1″ fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue.  I then placed the figure in my painting grip.    
I forgot to take a “before” picture prior to applying paint, so this is the shot from the Reaper webstore.

     I began by painting his face and hands with Reaper MSP “Bronzed Skin”.  I then painted his vest with Apple Barrel “Apple Maple Syrup”, and his coat with Accent “Forrest Green”. 

     Next, I painted his lapels, jacket lining, and cuffs with Americana “Antique Gold”, and his boots, hat, scabbard pouch, and strap with Ceramcoat “Black”.  After that, I painted his boot tops with Americana “Terra Cotta”, and the scroll he’s reading with Americana “Antique White”. 

       While painting the cuffs, I had debated with myself whether they were in fact gauntlets that covered his hands, but had gone ahead and done them as cuffs.  I reversed my decision at this point, and went back and repainted them with the “Black” to be gauntlets.  I then painted all the buttons, fittings, etc., that I thought should be metal, with Folk Art Brushed Metal “Brushed Bronze”.

     I let the figure dry for a while, and then I applied a coat of Citadel “Reikland Fleshshade” wash to his face. After that, I applied some Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash to his vest, collar, coat lining, and scroll. And, finally, I applied some Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash to the outer coat, boots, hat, gauntlets and scabbard. 
     When the washes were dry, I painted his eyes, and then highlighted his face with the base “Bronzed Skin”, and a bit of Reaper MSP “Bronzed Highlight”.  I then painted his beard and hair with Reaper MSP “Coal Black”, and then highlighted it with a little Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”. After that, I highlighted is vest with the base “Apple Maple Syrup”, and a little Americana “Buttermilk”.  I then applied a stippled pattern of Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon” in an attempt to give it the appearance of a little texture. 

     Next, I highlighted the boot tops with some of the base “Terra Cotta”, and some Reaper MSP Hallowed Orange”.   I then highlighted his coat with the base “Forrest Green” mixed with some Crafter’s Acrylic “Holiday Green”.   After that, I highlighted the lapels, and lining of the coat with the base Antique Gold”, along with some Crafter’s Acrylic “Bright Yellow”, and some Crafter’s Acrylic “Daffodil Yellow”.

       I then highlighted the scroll with the base “Antique White”, and then used Americana “Bleached Sand”, and Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White” for further highlights.  Next, I highlighted the boots, scabbard, pouch, strap, and gauntlets with Americana “Zinc”, and a little Americana “Grey Sky”.  I went back and did some writing on the scroll with the “Black”, and then highlighted the metal parts on the figure with some Folk Art Metallics “Pure Gold”.   Lastly, I painted the figure’s base with the “Mississippi Mud”.

     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. I then used some white glue to glue some fine sand to the base.  When the sand was dry, I painted it with a coat of Americana “Charcoal Grey”. When this was dry, I drybrushed the sand with the “Mississippi Mud”, and then with some Apple Barrel “Rock Grey”; lastly I drybrushed it with a little Americana “Dove Grey”.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote”.       

     I’m pleased with how he came out.  I noticed in the final photo that there is a black splotch under his right eye…and I’m not sure how it got there unless I smudged the black paint there accidentally while doing  the script on the scroll.  His right eye, located as it is under the hat, and wedged between his raised arm and the scroll, was not fun to work on from the start. And even now I can see it’s a little lopsided.  But good enough; as trying to work further on it in that tight space will most likely not help.  I may however go back and try to fix that cheek splotch. 

Go to Source

0

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *