Dire Bear and Cave Bear: Bones Figures

     This past week I worked on the three remaining bear figures for the unit of War Bears that I began the previous week when I painted the Reaper Bones Werebear and a Cave Bear.  I painted two Dire Bears and another Cave Bear this time, to complete the 5-figure unit.  
      I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued the two Dire Bears to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmers glue, and used some blue-tac to attach the Cave Bear to a pill bottle.
      I basically followed the paint scheme I had established last time, beginning by painting the bears entirely with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”.  I then immediately painted the forearms and lower legs with Americana “Charcoal Grey”, blending it in with the still-wet “Territorial Beige”.  After that, I painted the insides of the Dire Bears’ mouths with Americana “Shading FLesh”.
      Next, I painted the Dire Bears’  teeth with Americana “Antique White”.  I let everything dry, and then I gave all three bears a complete coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash. 
     When the wash was dry,   I drybrushed the dark areas of fur with Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown”.  I then drybrushed the rest of the fur with first, Reaper MSP “Ginger Cookie”, and then a little Americana “Bleached Sand”.   I highlighted the tongues with a little Crafter’s Acrylic “Cherry Blossom”, and then highlighted the teeth with some of the “Bleached Sand”.  I then painted the noses and eyes with Ceramcoat :Black, and then gave the eyes highlight dots with Americana “Snow White”. After that, I highlighted the noses with some Americana “Grey Sky”.    Lastly, I painted the figure’s base with the “Mississippi Mud”.
       I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.   I then glued each figure to a brown-primed 2″x2″ steel base and when dry, used some white glue to flock the base.  I let them dry overnight, and sprayed them with Testor’s “Dullcote”the next day.  

The whole unit.

     I’m happy with how these guys turned out.  I think theres a nice cohesiveness to them, and yet enough variety to make it not look too static as a unit.

Go to Source

0

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *