Anchor of Damnation: Bones 5 Brinewind Figure

     This past week I painted the “Anchor of Damnation” from the Bones 5 Brinewind Expansion. 
     I prepped it in the usual way, soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then gave it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsed and dried it.  I then glued the figure to a pair of 1.25″ brown-primed metal washers with some Aleene’s Tacky glue.  I then glued the figure to a pill bottles with a couple drops of white glue.    

     I began by painting the figure entirely with Americana “Charcoal Grey”. When dry, I dabbed the anchor here and there with Americana “Light Cinnamon”, and then followed with dabbing the anchor with Accent “Golden Oxide”.

     I did a few lighter anchor dabs with Reaper MSP “Lantern Yellow”, and then turned to the skeletons.  I began by painting the all bones with Reaper MSP “Graveyard Bone”.  I then painted the anchor skeleton’s boots with Ceramcoat “Charcoal”, and the pants with Folk Art “Cloudy Day”

     Next, I painted the shirt with Folk Art “Porcelain White”, and the  head scarf with Pathfinder MSP Urgathea Red”. After that, I painted The rocks with Folk Art “Dapple Grey”, and then the straps holding the skeleton on the anchor with Americana “Asphaltum”.

     I then painted the pirate’s sash with “Antique Gold”, and then did the ropes on the anchor with Reaper MSP “Ginger Cookie”.  After that, I painted the broken planks with Folk Art “Barn Wood”, and the assorted barnacles and shells with Folk Art “Gray Green”.  I followed with painting what looked to be coral to me with Reaper MSP “Brains Pink”, and the coins with Folk Art Brushed Metal “Brushed Bronze”.

          I let everything dry for a while and then gave the entire thing a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.  When the wash was dry, I did some highlighting on the anchor with Americana “Sable Brown”, and some of the “LanternYellow”.  I then highlighted the barnacles with the base “Gray Green”.  Next, I highlighted the skeletons with Reaper MSP “Graveyard Bone”, and then some Crater’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”.

          Next, I highlighted the pirate’s shirt with Reaper MSP “Bleached Linen”, and Reaper MSP “Peppermint White”.  I then highlighted the head scarf with Reaper MSP Bones “Cinnamon Red”, and Reaper MSP “Fresh Blood”.  After that, I highlighted the pants with the base “Cloudy Day”, and then some Crafter’s Acrylic “Cool Blue”; and followed by doing the sash with Americana “Antique Gold”, and Reaper MSP “Palomino Gold”.  

          I then highlighted the boots with the base “Charcoal, and mixed in a little Americana “Zinc”; and afterwards did the highlights on straps holding the pirate on the anchor using the base “Asphaltum with some Americana “Terra Cotta mixed in. After that, I highlighted all the rope sing Folk Art “Butter Pecan”, and then highlighted the planks with he base “Barn Wood”.  Next, I highlighted the rocks with the base “”Dapple Grey”, and then mixed in some Folk Art “Porcelain White”, and then moved to what I interpreted as coral, and highlighted that with Apple Barrel “Apple Lt. Pink”.  I finished by highlighting the coins with some Folk Art Metallics “Pure Gold”.  

        I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. When dry, I used some white glue to glue some sand to the figure’s base. I also added a mini seashell for decoration. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figures with Testor’s Dullcote”. 

     I’m really pleased with how this piece turned out.  It will add a lot of character as scatter terrain in either a jungle, seaside, or underwater setting.  And players can always wonder if the skeletons are really “just” scenery or not… 🙂 
  

    In other news, I decided to start working on the “Townsfolk” Add-On set a couple at a time on the side.  Often when I squeeze out dropper-bottle paint, like Reaper’s, I have some left over and my plan is to take a moment and use up this extra on these side figures; thus finishing more of my Bones, and not wasting as much paint.  I’ll just post photos when I complete a pair, but not bother with doing step by step articles for these since they are such simple figures.

Go to Source

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *