Zombie Giant: Bones 5 Figure (Part 2, Completion)

     This past week I finished painting the “Zombie Giant” from the Bones 5 Core Set.  To check out part one of this painting article, see: Zombie Giant: Part 1 .
    When we ended last week’s post, I had just applied the shading wash coat to the giant, and had begun to do the details on the face.
         First, I highlighted al his akin with the base “Jade Green”, and then mixed in some Ceramcoat “White” for lighter highlights.  Next, I worked on the club, drybrushing it with the base “Barn Wood”, and then some of the “Graveyard Bone”.  After that, I highlighted the exposed bones with Crafter’s Acrylic “Light Antique White”, and then highlighted the wounds with  mix of the base “Urgathea Red” and then mixed in some Folk Art “Milkshake”.

     Next, I highlighted the wood splints  and the wagon wheel using the base “Mississippi Mud”, and then added in some Americana “Fawn”.   I then highlighted the loin fur with Americana “Sable Brown”, and the  lighter Americana “Khaki Tan”.  After that, I worked on the metal bands on the leg and club as well as the chain around his neck; dabbing them with, first, Americana “Light Cinnamon”, then some Accent “Golden Oxide”, and lastly, Americana “Tangerine”.  I finished them  by giving them a drybrush of Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”.  I worked on the hair next, highlighting with the base “Charcoal”, mixed with some Americana “Neutral Grey”.  I highlighted the big bead in his hair with Folk Art Pearl “Aqua Moire”, then the smaller beads with the “Gunmetal Grey” and some Folk Art Metallics “Pure Gold”.

     I then highlighted the bandages with Folk Art “Porcelain White”.  I had noticed some ares of bumpy pimply looking skin, and had wanted to do something moldy looking to them, and finally decided to give them some dabs with Citadel Contrast “Militarium Green”.   Likewise, I decided the scar down his back looked too plain, so I went down the seam with Citadel Contrast “Fireslayer Flesh” to make it look a little seeping.  

     I the worked on the vultures, first painting them Ceramcoat “Black”.  When dry, I drybrushed them with the “Sable Brown”.  I then painted their heads and legs with Americana “Burgundy Wine”, and when dry, drybrushed them with Reaper MSP “Brains Pink”.  After that, I painted their beaks and feet with Americana “Moon Yellow”, and when dry gave them a wash with the “Nuln Oil”.  I wrapped things up by adding Back dots for eyes.  Lastly, I painted the bases with the “Mississippi Mud”.

     I let the Giant dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry,  I used some white glue to flock the bases.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figure with Testor’s Dullcote”.   When the Dullcote was dry, I went back and gave his eye, wounds, and mouth, a coat of Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish.  

    I’m really thrilled with how this figure turned out. It really is a dynamic and excellent sculpt with lots of fun details.

Go to Source

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *