Zombie Dwarf Thanes #1: Bones 5 Encounter Figures

      This past week I painted two more of the “Zombie Dwarf Thane” figures from the Bones 5 The Dwarf King’s Crypt Encounter set; this time “Zombie Dwarf Thane #1”.  Last week, I painted a pair of “Zombie Dwarf Thane #3”.  As mentioned in my last post, the set only comes with one of each of these figures, but I ordered two of the Encounters as I wanted pairs of a number of the set’s scenery items, as well as a bunch of these Dwarf Zombies.
    This gave me 6 of the Zombies. So to help them look more like a mixed group, I decided to paint each pair of identical figures differently, to give the pairs more of a differing appearance.   Also, while the Thane #3 figure I did last week had no easily convertible limbs; this one, Thane #1,  as well as Thane #2, each had a raised right arm that I could easily chop.  So I was able to simply swap the right hand on one of the #1’s for the right hand off of one of the #2’s.  This helped give each pair a slightly different appearance. 
      I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. At this point I did the hand swap, and also trimmed the circlet crown off of the one on the left.  I then glued them to 1″ primed metal washers, using Aleene’s Tacky Glue.  I glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s School Glue.
     I began by painting the skin on both figures with Reaper MSP “Alien Flesh”.  Next, I painted the pants on the first figure with Folk Art “Dapple Gray”, and then the pants on the second figure with Folk Art “Barnyard Red”.  After that, I painted the boots on both figures with Americana “Charcoal Grey”.

     Next, I painted the robes on the lefthand Thane with Crafter’s Acrylic “Forest Green”, and the robes on the righthand figure with Reaper MSP “Ginger Cookie”.  I then painted the soles of the boots with Ceramcoat “Charcoal”, the belt on the lefthand one with Americana “Bittersweet Chocolate”, and the belt on the righthand on with Americana “Light Cinnamon”.  I also used the “Bittersweet Chocolate” to paint the bracelets and the circlet on the righthand Thane.

     I then painted the beard on the lefthand one with Americana “Asphaltum”, and the beard on the righthand one with Reaper MSP “Black Noir”. After that, I painted their teeth with Americana “Antique White”, and then splotched Apple Barrel “Apple Maroon” on their hands and the mouth and beard of the lefthand one. Next, I painted the bracelets and the circlet on the righthand Thane, doing some with Folk Art Brushed Metal “Brushed Bronze”, or Reaper MSP “Scorched Metal”.    I let everything dry for a while, and then gave both figures complete coats of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade wash.

     When the wash was dry, I painted their eyes with Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon”, and then added a pupil in their right eyes with Reaper MSP “Dark Elf Highlight”.  After that, I highlighted their skin with the base “Alien Flesh”, and then mixed in some Americana “Dove Grey”.  I then mixed in some of the “Apple Maroon” to highlight the blood on the hands.  Next, I highlighted the beards, using Reaper MSP “Shield Brown” for the lefthand Thane’s, and Americana “Zinc” for the righthand Thane’s. The teeth were next, and I highlighted them with Americana “Bleached Sand”.

     I then highlighted the robes on the lefthand figure with Americana “Avocado”, and his pants with the base “Dapple Gray”.  Next, I highlighted the robes of the righthand one with Americana “Khaki Tan”, and his pants with Reaper MSP HD “Rusty Red”.   After that, I highlighted their boots with Nicole’s “Brown”, and the lefthand belt with Crafter’s Acrylic “Cinnamon Brown”, followed by the righthand belt with Americana “Terra Cotta”.  Lastly, I highlighted the bracelets I had painted with the “Scorched Metal”, s well as the circlet, with Folk Art Metallic “Gunmetal Gray”.   I finished by painting the bases with Citadel Contrast ” Templar Black”.

      I let the Thanes dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.  Then when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to glue some sand onto the bases.  When this was dry I  painted it with Citadel Contrast “Black Templar”.  When that was dry,  I drybrushed the sand with Folk Art “Rock Grey”, and then a bit of Folk Art “Porcelain White”.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figures with Testor’s Dullcote”.   

     I’m really happy with these two.  I can’t wait to see the whole group of 6 together!

Go to Source

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *