Zombie Dwarf Thanes #2: Bones 5 Encounter Figures

    This past week I painted the last two of the “Zombie Dwarf Thane” figures from the Bones 5 The Dwarf King’s Crypt Encounter set; this time “Zombie Dwarf Thane #2”.  Last week, I painted a pair of “Zombie Dwarf Thane #1”.  As mentioned in my last post, the set only comes with one of each of these figures, but I ordered two of the Encounters as I wanted pairs of a number of the set’s scenery items, as well as a bunch of these Dwarf Zombies.
    This will give me 6 of the Zombies. So to help them look more like a mixed group, I decided to paint each pair of identical figures differently, to give the pairs more of a differing appearance.   Also, while the Like the Thane #1 figure I did last week, these also had a raised right arm that I could easily chop.  So as I mentioned with the Thane 1 figures, I was able to simply swap the right hand on one of the #1’s for the right hand off of one of these #2’s.  This helped give that pair and this pair a slightly different appearance. 
      I prepped the figures in the usual way, soaking them in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them. At this point I did the hand swap, and also trimmed the circlet crown off of the one on the left.  I then glued them to 1″ primed metal washers, using Aleene’s Tacky Glue.  I glued the washers to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s School Glue.
      I began by painting the skin on both figures with Reaper MSP “Alien Flesh”.  Next, I painted the pants on the first figure with Ceramcoat “Denim Blue”, and then the pants on the second figure with Americana “Antique Gold”.   I then added stripes on the lefthand pants using a broad stripe of Reaper MSp “Void Blue”, and then centering a smaller stripe of Reaper MSP “Holly Berry” within the thick one.  After that, I painted the boots on both figures with Ceramcoat “Black”, and then painted the folded tops of the left boots with Accent “Mustard Seed” just to add a little extra visual difference. 
  Next, I painted the robes on the lefthand Thane with Americana “Zinc”, and the robes on the righthand figure with Americana “Light Cinnamon”.  I then painted the the belt on the lefthand one with Reaper MSP “Noir Black”, and the belt on the righthand on with Americana “Americana “Charcoal Grey”.  I also used the “Charcoal Grey” to paint the bracelets and the circlet on both Thanes.  After that, I painted the beard and hair on the lefthand one with Reaper MSP “Blackened Brown”, and the beard and hair on the righthand one with Reaper MSP “Dusky Skin Shadow”. 
   Next, I splotched Apple Barrel “Apple Maroon” on the hands, mouth, and beard of the righthand one, and also painted his circlet with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”.  I then painted the bracelets with Folk Art Brushed Metal “Brushed Bronze”, or Reaper MSP “Scorched Metal”.    I let everything dry for a while, and then gave both figures complete coats of Citadel “Agrax Earthshade wash. 
     When the wash was dry, I painted their eyes with Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon”, and then added pupils with Reaper MSP “Dark Elf Highlight”.  After that, I highlighted their skin with the base “Alien Flesh”, and then mixed in some Americana “Dove Grey”.  I then mixed in some of the “Apple Maroon” to highlight the blood on the hands.  Next, I highlighted the beards, using Reaper MSP “Auburn Shadow” for the lefthand Thane’s, and the base Charcoal Grey mixed with some Folk Art “Barn Wood” for the righthand Thane’s. I then mixed some of the “Apple Maroon” in to highlight the righthand beard’s blood spatter.

            I then highlighted the robes on the lefthand figure with the base “Zinc and then used some Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey”. Afterwards, I highlighted his pants with the base “Denim Blue”.  Next, I highlighted the robes of the righthand one with the base “Light Cinnamon” and then used some Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown”.  I followed with his pants, highlighting them with  the base “Antique Gold”.   After that, I highlighted their boots and the belts with Reaper’s MSP “Dark Elf Skin”.  I then did a quick highlight on the lefthand one’s boot top using the base “Mustard Seed”, and the righthand one’s circlet using Folk Art “Butter Pecan”.  Lastly, I highlighted the bracelets I had painted with the “Scorched Metal” with Folk Art Metallic “Gunmetal Gray”, and the other bracelets I highlighted with the base “Brushed Bronze”.   I finished by painting the bases with Citadel Contrast ” Templar Black”.

      I let the Thanes dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.  Then when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to glue some sand onto the bases.  When this was dry I  painted it with Citadel Contrast “Black Templar”.  When that was dry,  I drybrushed the sand with Folk Art “Rock Grey”, and then a bit of Folk Art “Porcelain White”.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figures with Testor’s Dullcote”.   

      I’m happy with these last two of the Dwarf Zombies, and glad to have completed all of them.  Below is all six of them together.  I think they make a great looking mob! 🙂

Go to Source

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *