Gingerbread Knight: Christmas 2021 Promo Figure

     The past two week I worked on the Gingerbread Knight, which was a Bones USA promo figure that came in this year’s Reaper Christmas Sampler.  With all that was going on with preparation for Christmas, I thought this would be a fast and fun figure to work on.
        I prepped the figure in the usual way, soaking the parts (comes with the left arm as a separate piece) in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving them a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying them.  I then glued the arm to the body using Gorilla superglue gel. Next, I glued the figure to a 1″ primed metal washer, using Aleene’s Tacky Glue.  I glued the washer to a tongue depressor with a couple drops of Elmer’s School Glue. 

     I tried to take the easy route first and use Citadel Contrast paint for the gingerbread.  So I gave the figure a base coat of Ceramcoat “White”; and when dry, I mixed some Citadel Contrast “Fyreslayer Flesh” and Citadel Contrast “Snakebite Leather” together and painted it on the figure.  When dry, I was sad to see that it came out very mottled.  I had hoped it wouldn’t, but knew in the back of my mind that it probably would.  Oh, well; I tried.

     I then started over, painting directly over the Contrast paint, with a mix of Folk Art “Teddy Bear Brown” and a little Accent “Mustard Seed”.  When dry, I gave the entire figure a coat of Citadel Shade “Agrax Earhdahde”.  I let that dry, and then drybrushed the figure with some Reaper MSP “Ginger Cookie”, because I just had to.  🙂 

     Next, I painted all the icing decorations, as well as his epaulette and candy cane, with Americana “Snow White”  I let that dry, and then did his eyes and belt with a mix of Reaper MSP “Ultramarine Blue” and  Crafter’s Acrylic “Tropical Blue”.  Then I painted his mouth a mix of Folk Art “Tomato Red” and Crafter’s Acrylic “Tutti Frutti”.  After that, I painted his buttons with Crafter’s Acrylic “Holiday Green”.

     I then painted the stripes on the candy cane and epaulette with some Citadel Contrast “Blood Angels Red” in hopes it would give it a bit of a translucent look. When it was dry, I touched up all the white parts of the icing with Reaper MSP “Peppermint White”.  Again, becuase I felt I just had to. 🙂 Lastly I painted the entire base with Americana “Zinc”. 

      I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave him a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.  Then when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to glue some sand onto the base.  When this was dry I  painted it with Citadel Contrast “Basilicanum Grey”.  When that was dry,  I drybrushed the sand withAmericana “Grey Sky”.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed the figures with Testor’s Dullcote”.   Afterwards, I went back and painted the epaulette and candy cane with some Americana “DuraClear Gloss” varnish.

     I’m pleased with how this fun figure turned out. It was just the perfect simple sculpt to tackle in the busy weeks leading up to Christmas.

Go to Source

Author: Chris Palmer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *