2021 was another one that we all want to forget in many ways, but not all.
I set out some goals for myself back last December for 2022. Some were around gaming, some around hobby production, some were around golf, and more. Back when I was working in “the dreaded private sector”, I had sales goals to hit every period – be it yearly, quarterly, thrice annually, or whatever. Every manager would ask you for “stretch goals” – which was pretty unnecessary as the sales quotas you were given from corporate were never layups anyways. Still, it’s always good to have a plan and try your best. It’s also good to be honest with yourself and be accountable to yourself. Hopefully, that’s what I did with regards to my goals in 2021.
How did I do versus my 2020 goals?
Paint 250 figures or more
That did not happen, though my production was pretty good at 104. For three months I did not do any painting (August-October) as I was pretty involved with the new garage+ project.
Complete the figures and terrain for Civilizations Collide
I have to give myself full credit here – the building of the Aztec cityscape was an epic project. However, I still am finding that I have more to do as I develop scenarios for my Spanish Conquest scenarios booklet – so yes I built what I planned – I just have more to do to flesh out the other scenarios with terrain and figures.
Complete my figures for Wars of Ozz, ok at least 40 of them
Big miss here – did not get to them. I did get to play a game at Christoricon though – commanding the Greater and Lesser Pumpkinheads.
Paint up a platoon from Wargames Supply Dump for Combat Patrol.
Big miss here – did not get to them either.
Attend and run games at conventions or club nights or both, if possible – to include Combat Patrol retro sci-fi games, What a Tanker© Battle of France May-June 1940, and Aztec games (live or virtually) for Feudal PatrolTM using my “Civilizations Collide” supplement
No retro sci-fi games or WaT games this year – but I did run multiple games of for Feudal PatrolTM using my “Civilizations Collide” supplement, to include at Historicon.
Get my golf handicap down below 15
HA! I have hovered around 20-21 all year. I did get new clubs this year, and I won my flight in the Club Championship (and as a caveat it was the D Flight, but I am proud of that).
Play golf (in season) at least twice a week
I did do this!
Make between 30 and 36 blog posts of value and quality
As far as quality, I would judge them as up to standard (but that is the reader’s judgement, no?). Quantity-wise, I did 54, so that’s a “check”.
Get back on the Imperial Rebel Ork podcast
Well IRO euthanized his podcast earlier this year, so that wasn’t possible. Understandably, the man had a cabin to build!
Build a new garage
As most of you know, that is on-going, so not yet done.
Personal Highs for 2021
- Continuing to serve my Town (East Brookfield, MA) as the elected Board of Health Chairman during the pandemic. Specifically, getting over 500 seniors vaccinated (1/3 from neighboring towns even), and getting nearly 100% of the 56+ residents vaccinations.
- Completing the Aztec cityscape and bringing it to the gaming at Historicon – and playing with Harry (borderguy190 at War Across the Ages and Other Dark Horrors).
- Getting together with Dave Wood, Buck Surdu, Greg Priebe, Chris Palmer, and Duncan Adams in person and on Zoom games. Even had The Imperfect Modeller on one game as an observer (which was cool).
- Winning my flight in the club championship at Quail Hollow Golf and Country Club in Oakham, MA.
- Having fun Zoom chats with Luke (IRO), Dave (The Imperfect Modeller), Dave (Wargames Terrain Workshop), Mike (despertaferres), and Pete (S/P Project Blog).
- Getting the garage started and mostly done.
- Getting together with family especially my daughter Ellen and my granddaughter Tabitha.
- My wife Lynn, every day (seriously).
Personal Lows for 2021
- One that comes to mind I’ll save for next year as it was 2022. Still a fresh wound.
- That pandemic thingy from China, ’nuff said.
My goals for 2022
Well, its time to set my goals for 2022.
- Paint 150 figures or more.
- Complete the remaining conquistador figures for Civilizations Collide.
- Complete the remaining terrain for Civilizations Collide, to include the brigantines.
- Complete the remaining Maya figures for Civilizations Collide.
- Complete the scenario booklet for Civilizations Collide.
- Complete my figures for Wars of Ozz, ok at least 40 of them.
- Paint up a platoon from Wargames Supply Dump for Combat Patrol .
- Try to get my Nomonhan WaT project off the ground.
- Attend and run games at conventions or club nights or both, if possible. This would include TotalCon34, HMGS South Recon, HAVOC, HUZZAH!, Historicon, and BARRAGE .
- Get the Mass Pikemen more active once the pandemic diminishes.
- Celebrate my wife’s retirement (and mine belatedly) with a nice trip.
- Finish the garage+ and launch that baby successfully.
- Post on the blog 48 times or more – and in good quality.
- Be a good blog follower.
- Have multiple Zoom chats with fellow hobbyists.
- Go to a golf school and get my golf handicap down below 18.
- Play golf (in season) at least twice a week.
- Win my flight in the Championship.
- Be a competitive golfer.
Again, thanks to all who make the time to read this blog – Happy New Year!
Lastly, here follows a detailed list of the 2021 production. You can access more details here.
- 104 figures painted
- 0 figures cast
- 25 figures assembled
- 144 terrain pieces made or assembled
- 145 terrain pieces painted
- 1 figure or terrain piece conversions
- 1 creation or component sculpted or scratch-built
- 0 molds made
- 1,051 game pieces/game aids made and/or painted